Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Katrina's Note

There are some fabrics and materials in fashion that I honestly do not feel are ethical to use to decorate our bodies.

When I was working for a certain vegan cosmetics line, I heard on my first day a line that will stay with me forever. "Orangutans do not need to die so you can have friggin' lather."

She was right. I honestly don't feel that interesting primates need to die so your soap can bubble up more efficiently. Cleanliness can come with less-lathery soaps, without much net difference to cleanliness or soap's antibacterial properties.

I feel the same way about fashion. I think coral jewelry is pretty, as well as a fur collar, but generally, both of these materials require the death of the living organism that used to inhabit either the pretty jewel or the fluffy skin. Fabulous fakes do exist, and if you absolutely have to have something made out of genuine coral or real fur, go vintage.

However, it is important to note that this does not extend to leather, in my mind.

That might have sounded hypocritical, but think about it for a moment. Coral is harvested for jewelry, and foxes are killed for their coats, but cows are not killed for their skins. They are killed for their meat, and leather is a byproduct of the beef industry. They are already there, so I don't find it morally objectionable to utilize them.

This is, however, just my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment