Friday, November 6, 2009

Introduction

Nina Garcia writes in her books, "Style is a deeply personal expression of who you are, and every time you dress, you are asserting part of yourself." Even though she published a list of her style pillars, that she keeps going back to over and over, that she loves and makes her feel classic.

But she also writes that the very essence of style is individuality. Her one hundred might not be the same one hundred that another woman would keep going back to. And while I love her book, and her writing style, I realized while I was reading it, a lot of her One Hundred did not work for me. My complexion does not work for a Little White Dress, and I'm not a big fan of fur or coral, or even moccasins. I also don't feel the need to have several different winter coats, or a collection of Statement Necklaces to make my Little Black Dress look different.

Nina Garcia's The One Hundred made me think about my own personal style, how I present myself, and what makes me feel classic, gorgeous, and stylish. She made me examine what works well on me, and to carefully edit what was in my own closet.

And so, I present my own personal One Hundred, as a sort of style odyssey, a journey through the worlds of fashion, clothing, and what's available in my size.

No comments:

Post a Comment